Recipe for Bran Muffins:
- 750 ml bran
- 250 ml warm "rooibos" (SA tea, which translates to "red tea", try any fancy tea to your taste)
- 180 ml brown sugar
- 100 ml canola-oil
- 250 ml cake flour
- 250 - 375 ml whole wheat flour
- pinch salt
- 125 ml currants (which I didn't use :)
- 125 ml bashed pecan nuts
- 12 ml bicarbonate of soda
- 60 ml buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 60 ml sesame seeds
- 60 ml roasted sunflower seeds
Now, Work!Preheat the oven to 180 C and spray a muffin tin which has 12 hollows
1. Mix the Bran, oil, tea and sugar in a big bowl and leave aside.
2.Mix the cake flour, whole wheat flour, salt, currants and nuts. Then add this to the bran mix.
|"Koek Meel" means cake flour in Afrikaans|
|Which we crushed in a coffee grinder|
3. Dissolve the soda in the buttermilk, then add the eggs. till you get...
4. Mix the bran mix and the buttermilk/eggs together. Don't "mix too much", cause otherwise the muffins get big tunnels.
5. Scoop it into the muffin tin till 2/3 full. Sprinkle the seeds on top and bake for 15 - 20 minutes, until ready.
All Photos by my sister, Emma